Help us building exciting and complex software products.
In the last years, we successfully built up an R&D company that develops great products using latest technologies. We do this with an unique approach: combining a fixed core team of 40 people and a huge and strong community of developers, engineers, makers, hackers, and designers (freelancers + part-time employees). This unique setup allows us to work on cutting edge technologies / products (e.g. A.I., Chatbots, Blockchain, etc.) with diverse, fast, and interdisciplinary teams. Among our customers are BMW, KPMG, Microsoft, Audi, Siemens, and others.
In order to strengthen our core team in a central technology, we’re looking for you as a Django Backend Engineer for a fulltime position in Munich, Germany (potentially relocation). If preferred and suited, we can include DevOps (Kubernetes, Docker, Openshift) tasks in this role.
If you want to find out more about Motius and how we work, just scroll down.
- Strong software engineering / web applications engineering background (e.g. patterns, architecture)
- At least two years of professional Django dev experience
- Good Python developer (Python 3.x)
- Good communication skills in English in writing and speaking
- Preferably having worked in agile environments, being able to follow and potentially lead the SCRUM process of different teams
- Preferably having worked with Docker, GitLab CI, or comparable tools
- Joining 3-6 months long R&D projects (sometimes longer) in engineering teams of 2-5 people
- Always working with the team here in Munich in our office – we don’t do customer-on-site consulting
- Building complex web applications in Django (mostly our Frontends are built on ReactJS)
- Following a two-weekly Scrum process using GitLab, Slack, Kanban, Continous Integration & Delivery, etc.
- Becoming a „Tech Specialist“ on this stack, i.e. supporting and coaching other engineers, increasing Motius‘ knowhow and assets in Django, later supporting in interviewing and hiring other engineers
- Being part of our Software Engineering cluster and learning new and other technologies
- Fulltime employment in Munich, Germany (with relocation and visa support)
- Competitive salary including a personal and a company-wide bonus system
- 4h/week reserved for personal development and learning new technologies
- Unique and inspiring office culture with a lot of smart engineers from different backgrounds (e.g. App developers, Embedded system engineers, Mechanical engineers, Computer Vision researchers etc.) from over 15 different countries
- Direct impact on the innovation cycles of our customers (new products of the future)
- Enjoying constant change of topics and technologies – instead of monthly bug fixing and maintenance
OUR TECH STACK & INFRASTRUCTURE
Besides our regular setup of Django or Flask with React.JS or Vue.JS, we have the following setup: With a dedicated two-people DevOps & Infrastructure team we use a continous integration pipeline based on GitLab CI. We use Docker, Kubernetes, and Openshift for hosting and deployment. Except for that, everybody choses his/her own hardware and OS. We use Slack and O365 for communication and Nextcloud for file sharing.
OUR MANAGEMENT PROCESS
Our project management process follows Scrum principles with bi-weekly sprint reviews and retrospectives. A team is managed by a Team Lead in collaboration with a Project Owner. We use a digital Kanban board (Taiga or Jira) and GitLab for Issue Tracking.
Core team engineers track their time only on a weekly percentage basis and usually work 40h/week with peaks for deadlines / presentations. Flexible work arrangements are easily possible – the core team is usually in the office between 9:30 am and 5 pm with exceptions. Home office is possible at least once a month (and more in arrangement with your supervisor). Weekends are holy.
We invest 10% of our work time for learning and exploring new technologies, we call this time ELU. It’s basically at two-day company internal hackathon every month for creating prototypes and improving your skillset.
Every year, the core team is invited to a weekend Surprise Trip. We’ve already been to Muscat, Stockholm, and Riga (see video here).
TEAM & COMPANY CULTURE
If you ask the colleagues around here, attributes being mentioned are mostly: a very friendly, open-minded, and collaborative environment. People help each other, go have lunch together, and laugh and chat in the kitchen/lunch area. People here are curios, positive, and self-ironic. Most of them are interested in sports, tech topics (e.g. trends), and games.
We don’t have fixed desks at Motius. Rooms and areas have certain rules and furniture and therefore offer everybody to find a place where they can be productive, e.g. in a silent room, in areas with standing desks, couches, in different meeting rooms, in a workshop, or in an open space. But, remember to always lock your screen: if not, you’ll probably volunteer to bring a cake or muffins to the office.