This experienced engineering manager will drive our vision and alignment around architectures, product quality, and operational best practices in fast-paced research and development projects. In the role of a Senior Project Owner, you’ll lead central and strategically relevant software engineering projects and therefore create impactful and innovative digital products and prototypes with our teams and customers. Later, you’ll become responsible for coaching and training our Project Owners in doing the same.
A Project Owner at Motius is an experienced engineer with a T-shaped skillset who is responsible for the planning and successful execution of our projects. The role therefore, combines responsibilities and tasks from a Project Manager, Product Owner, and Tech Consultant – depending on the project’s requirements. If your previous job was called Engineering Manager, Senior Software Engineer, Technical Project Manager, Product Owner, or Agile Coach, you’re probably right here.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related field
- 3-8 years of overall technical experience, including deep technical knowledge of large-scale web / app services
- 1+ years of experience leading engineering and technical teams
- 1+ years of experience in managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to leaders and partners
- Demonstrated team building skills – be able to bring people together, hire, develop and motivate staff members, create appropriately challenging projects for team members, and instill a high sense of pride in the team’s accomplishments.
- A record of driving outstanding operations for large scale technology services
- Must be able to effectively hold other departments accountable while maintaining good working relations with them.
- A proven track record of innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer and quality focus.
- Experience in infrastructure Engineering (DevOps, Docker, Kubernetes, Continuous Delivery & Integration)
- Experience in Startup / Young Tech Company environments
- German language skills – as some of our customers are traditional German companies
- Enable rapid, high quality development by owning and driving your projects, improving QA processes, introducing automation tools, and managing time and budget constraints
- Build and maintain tools and processes to enable Project Managers and Engineering teams to create beautiful and technically excellent products and prototypes
- Drive technical operational excellence at Motius
- Hire and develop Project Managers and Software Engineers
- Push relevant emerging technologies, tools, and frameworks into our SDLC
- A strategically important role in the organization
- A place for your passion in managing outstanding and talented engineers in a fast-paced environment
- A self-funded >5 year old company rooted in emerging technologies and applied research
- Being exposed to a lot of trend topics in various industries with big players (BMW, Siemens, Microsoft) and hidden champions
- Huge variety: project duration is between 3 to 12 months currently
- A clear career path to take over the Project Owner team and lead them
- A diverse and international team from 5 continents with backgrounds in Mechnical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Product Design, etc.
- A company vision clearly focused on talents and tech
- A competitive salary & perks package including company-wide and personal bonuses and VSOPs
OUR TECH STACK & INFRASTRUCTURE
Besides our regular setup of Django or Flask with React.JS or Vue.JS, we have the following setup: With a dedicated two-people DevOps & Infrastructure team we use a continous integration pipeline based on GitLab CI. We use Docker, Kubernetes, and Openshift for hosting and deployment. Except for that, everybody choses his/her own hardware and OS. We use Slack and O365 for communication and Nextcloud for file sharing.
OUR MANAGEMENT PROCESS
Our project management process follows Scrum principles with bi-weekly sprint reviews and retrospectives. A team is managed by a Team Lead in collaboration with a Project Owner. We use a digital Kanban board (Taiga or Jira) and GitLab for Issue Tracking.
Core team engineers track their time only on a weekly percentage basis and usually work 40h/week with peaks for deadlines / presentations. Flexible work arrangements are easily possible – the core team is usually in the office between 9:30 am and 5 pm with exceptions. Home office is possible at least once a month (and more in arrangement with your supervisor). Weekends are holy.
We invest 10% of our work time for learning and exploring new technologies, we call this time ELU. It’s basically at two-day company internal hackathon every month for creating prototypes and improving your skillset.
Every year, the core team is invited to a weekend Surprise Trip. We’ve already been to Muscat, Stockholm, and Riga (see video here).
TEAM & COMPANY CULTURE
If you ask the colleagues around here, attributes being mentioned are mostly: a very friendly, open-minded, and collaborative environment. People help each other, go have lunch together, and laugh and chat in the kitchen/lunch area. People here are curios, positive, and self-ironic. Most of them are interested in sports, tech topics (e.g. trends), and games.
We don’t have fixed desks at Motius. Rooms and areas have certain rules and furniture and therefore offer everybody to find a place where they can be productive, e.g. in a silent room, in areas with standing desks, couches, in different meeting rooms, in a workshop, or in an open space. But, remember to always lock your screen: if not, you’ll probably volunteer to bring a cake or muffins to the office.